Although often the bane of our existence, email communication is also where a HUGE portion of business communication gets transmitted.
For this reason, The Web-Sta Team agreed to kick off a series consisting of 5 Part of the HOTTEST TIPS to Effective Emails — it truly is an activity worthy of our attention and continuous improvement.
First, a quick look at just three striking email communication statistics to encourage you to read, consider, and employ these TIPS in your email communication.
These have been extracted from the Executive Summary portion of an Email Statistics Report, 2013-2017 by The Radicati Group, a Californian technological marketing research firm.
For anyone who doesn’t have enough emails to read and write today, I’ve included a link to the full Executive Summary at the end of this article. 🙂
- Email remains the go-to form of communication in the Business world.
In 2013, Business email accounts total 929 million mailboxes. This figure is expected to grow at an average annual growth rate of about 5% over the next four years, and reach over 1.1 billion by the end of 2017. The majority of Business email accounts are currently deployed on-premises. However adoption of Cloud Business email services, particularly Google Apps and Microsoft Office 365, is expected to rapidly increase over the next four years.
- 100 billion business emails sent and received per day, and growing
In 2013, the majority of email traffic comes from business email, which accounts for over 100 billion emails sent and received per day. Email remains the predominant form of communication in the business space. This trend is expected to continue, and business email will account for over 132 billion emails sent and received per day by the end of 2017.
- Emailing from mobile phones shows strong growth and is expected to continue
The Mobile Email market has shown strong growth over the past year, a trend that is expected to continue. Anywhere access has become a common feature for all users, who now access their mail from a number of devices, at any time and from any location. Growth of Mobile email use is driven by affordable and advanced mobile devices, which allow users to easily access their email accounts from their mobile devices. In 2013, worldwide mobile email users, including both Business and Consumer users, total 897 million.
SO, starting at the beginning, where all great stories start, here are The Web-Sta Team’s
5 HOTTEST SUBJECT LINE TIPS
- NEVER Leave The Subject Line Blank — this often determines whether our email gets opened, and how and when the recipient responds.
- Write The Subject Line FIRST — when we do, it has the capacity to set the tone for our email; helps keep us on point; and prevents us from forgetting all together (even though most email platforms will inform us if we haven’t included something here — that’s how important this is).
- Keep The Subject Line SHORT + be SPECIFIC — various devices (computers, laptops, tablets, ipads, phones etc.) all have a different display capacity. The idea is to get to the point of our email in about six to eight words tops.
- Never Write The Subject Line ALL IN UPPERCASE — there is UPPERCASE to make a particular word, phrase or point STANDOUT, it’s also the digital equivalent of YELLING at someone! Because we don’t want to give our readers anxiety before they even open the email, we always want to use this feature in the first scenario only.
- CHANGE The Subject – CHANGE The Words — when replying to an email and the POINT of the email CHANGES, it’s time to also change the words on the subject line. If our email platform doesn’t allow this, then research tells us the best approach is to start a new email and thread. One of the obvious reasons for this is whenever we are searching for an email we are likely to use a KEYWORD from the topic / subject to locate it.
Do you have any email body communication success tips to share? If so, we’d love to hear about them in the comments below. Also, leave a comment if you have any queries or are looking for further clarification on any of these points — we’d be happy to expand.
Keep an eye out for our next 5 HOTTEST EMAIL BODY TIPS coming soon…
CEO and Chief Designer at Web-Sta, an Australian-Based Web-Marketing Company started more than 10 years ago. We’ve built 100’s of websites, and employ an Australian-Based Team of Designers, Web-Geeks and Google Marketing Experts.